Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kitchen Progress: The Rest Can Wait Until After Christmas!

We are FINALLY at a good stopping point in the kitchen redo. And between the appliance deliveries (and redeliveries, and pickups and re-redeliveries - oh yes, it has been ridiculous), the electrician, the cabinet guy, and the drywall guy, I am ready to have my house back.

So the only things left after Christmas will be painting all the cabinets and bases, painting the walls, figuring out something to hang under that edge of soffit to the left of the window, and making a decision about the backsplash. Not too bad.

So here's where we are at so far:


I am not sure if this whole process has been a test of my ability (or should I say inability) to not be such a perfectionist. I usually like to do things myself because of that - if it gets messed up, it's my fault and I can accept that (or I can go back and fix it). But I do recognize that I have limits - I am no electrician, for example - so we hired an electrician. Did the electrician measure and make everything correct by the ruler? Yes. Does it look good to my critical eye? Not exactly. I'm trying to get over the fact that, in my opinion, two of the can lights were placed WAY to close to the air vent, and the holes were already cut and lights installed before I saw this and I was not about to have them make yet ANOTHER hole in my ceiling that would take the drywall guy yet another 23,984 days to fix and would leave behind a noticeable patch (if only to me, but noticeable nonetheless). I also feel that the pendant lights over the bar are too close together, but again, it just doesn't look horrible enough for me to pick a fight about it - it's just not exactly right. So I will try to learn to let go of it. . .

The ceiling pattern is also not exactly right - it is noticeable. Maybe if it really bothers me, I can go back and touch it up - because now I know how. Before this whole process, I had no idea how to do drywall or make ceiling texture and so mine would have probably looked like crap. But now I know how to do it from watching the guy do it and talking to him about it (for the, like, week that he was here). So that's definitely a benefit.

We've come along way, and the finish line is in sight!!


No comments:

Post a Comment