Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Backyard Garden Plots DONE!

It has been a while since I posted last, and I meant to document everything we did and how we did it (it took a few weeks to actually get everything done!), but alas I kept forgetting to take pictures, and so all I have at this point are the pictures from today with beds completely built, filled with soil, soil amended, trellises built (except one), and some plants transplanted (despite the fact that the weather has decided to dip into the 30's at night this week).

Here's a reminder of what the backyard looked like before:


And here's what it looks like now (at about 5:30pm with my goofy toddler):


I followed my original plan (discussed in this post) so I ended up with about 172 sq. ft. of raised bed garden space. I am limited somewhat by the available light in the backyard - this area of the yard gets at least a few hours of sunlight all year round, so we'll see how much we can actually grow! The following 6 posts give more details into how we did each step along the way. Happy reading!

Project #1: How to Build a Raised Bed

Project #2: Removal of Sod and How to Double Dig a Bed

Project #3: Addition of Compost and Other Organic Materials

Project #4: How to Amend Soil

Project #5: How to Build a Blackberry Trellis

Project #6: Bean Tepees and Trellises

List of Plants Planned for the Backyard Garden Spring 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment