Monday, May 27, 2013

Community Garden Update and Harvest Totals Update!

I am actually starting to harvest stuff from my community garden plot! Before the solarization project I discussed here happens and nukes the garden.

I harvested one cucumber, and there will be a few more next week too! They were all hiding under the foliage and were a pleasant surprise as I watered yesterday!


I didn't realize that real homegrown cucumbers are wrinkly and spiny. Someone at the community gardens told me they are ready if you rub the spines and they fall off. I don't know if this is true, but they did, so I picked it and we'll try it tonight!

The corn is (I think) ready to be harvested - it seems that corn is one of those things that you have to learn when it's ready from experience. I am also curious to see if they are fully fleshed out or are missing kernels from improper pollination, being such a small plot. We shall see on Tuesday when I go to harvest them!



I was really proud of my homegrown corn until I saw it for 8 for a dollar at the grocery store! Oh well - I bought a few ears and I will compare mine with grocery store, and see if it's worth it :)

Home Garden Harvest Totals:

I decided to keep a running tally of the harvest totals from my home garden before I can't keep track of them anymore! I guess that is a good problem to have! We are up to our ears in tomatoes, and it will just continue - I have 1 plant that has 20 tomatoes on it right now waiting to ripen. I already gave some to the neighbors. And some of the tomatoes are the BEST I have ever eaten. Here's a picture of the latest group I picked (one of which is a Celebrity tomato weighing in at 0.76 lbs all by itself!!!)


Starting at far left and proceeding clockwise: Sunny Boy Tomato, Celebrity Tomato, two smaller Old German Heirloom Tomatoes, one tiny Yellow Pear Tomato, and the very first Better Boy Tomato.

Here are the totals so far:

Tomatoes:  total = 6.23 lbs in 6 days!!!!

- Beefmaster: 0
- Better Boy: 0.55 lbs 
- Celebrity: 1.25 lbs
- Cherokee Purple: 0
- Homestead 24: 0.64 lbs
- Old German Heirloom: 0.95 lbs
- Patio (in pot): 0.61 lbs
- Sunny Boy: 2.20 lbs
- Sweet 100 (in pot): 0
- Yellow Pear: 0.03 lbs

Peppers:

- Better Bell: 0.31 lbs
- Chocolate Bell: 0
- Golden California Wonder Bell: 0.25 lbs
- Jalapeno: 0.18 lbs
- Red Bell: 0.43 lbs
- Tabasco Hot: 0

Pumpkins:

- Pie: 0

Tomatillos:

- Salsa Verde: 0

Eggplants:

- Long Purple: 0

Cucumbers:

- Salad Slicer: 0

Summer Squash:

- Pic-n-Pic (in pots): 0


I plan to update this weekly (at least while there is a lot of produce coming in). Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment