Thursday, June 6, 2013

Updated Harvest Totals and More Produce Pics!

So I said I would update this every week - I'm at about a week and a half so I'd say that's pretty good :)  My family is literally drowning in tomatoes. We are giving them to our family, our friends, our neighbors, and we still open the refrigerator and sigh! I don't know what I was expecting, but let's just say that raised beds and compost are awesome!

Before we get to the totals, there are a few pictures I would like to share:

Monster Cucumbers - I went to my community garden plot a few days ago, and hidden beneath the spiny vines were 7 ginormous cucumbers (I meant to go back and harvest them when they were smaller, but I forgot - whoops!). I have never seen cucumbers that big before in my life! We ate the first two mentioned in a previous post and they were quite tasty, but we haven't tried the big ones yet. I put a quarter in the picture for reference, but you can really tell how big they are in relation to my hand. And I have big hands.



And here's a few pictures of the produce I have been collecting over the past week and a half:

Here are the first Cherokee Purple heirloom tomatoes I collected. Not only are they very pretty, but they perform well in the taste category too!

Here's a picture of the stuff I just collected today (I have had multiple days of harvests like this - totally crazy!). This one is cool though because I was able to harvest at least one tomato from every variety I am growing.


 I also got my pumpkins (I harvested the smaller of the two yesterday and forgot to weigh it or take pictures of it before I cut it and scooped the seeds out.) You can see the claw marks from the suspected raccoon that tried to steal it when it was but a wee pumpkin. I won.


 I think. I picked up the pumpkin and a nasty grub had bored a whole through it. But the grub was still visible, so I don't think it got too far. So I fished it out and cut it in half with my scissors (which was gratifying, but it would have been more so if I got to feed it to chickens. . .one day. .  .) So anyways, I'll make like an old timey farmer, and cut out the bug part and eat the rest (I did that with my corn too - I guess beware eating at my house if that grosses you out :)



Ok, so let's get the produce totals so far!

Tomatoes:  total = 18.69 pounds!!!!!!!!!

Large Tomatoes:
Beefmaster: 1.24 lbs (3 fruits)
Better Boy: 2.75 lbs (6 fruits) 
Celebrity: 2.47 lbs (5 fruits)
Cherokee Purple: 3.35 lbs (7 fruits)
Homestead 24: 1.61 lbs (4 fruits)
Old German Heirloom: 2.49 lbs (13 fruits)
Patio (in pot): 1.45 lbs (9 fruits)
Sunny Boy: 2.54 lbs (6 fruits)

Small Tomatoes:
Sweet 100 (in pot): 0.09 lbs (7 fruits)
Yellow Pear: 0.70 lbs (40 fruits)

Peppers:

Better Bell: 0.31 lbs
Chocolate Bell: 0
Golden California Wonder Bell: 0.25 lbs
- Jalapeno: 0.23 lbs
Red Bell: 0.43 lbs
Tabasco Hot: 0

Pumpkins:

- Pie: 2 (largest one at 3.24 lbs)

Tomatillos:

Salsa Verde: 2.00 lbs (41 fruits)

Eggplants:

Long Purple: 0

Cucumbers:

Salad Slicer: 0

Summer Squash:

- Pic-n-Pic (in pots): 0

2 comments:

  1. We LOVE our Cherokee Purple tomatoes! They're the tomato's tomato. They get infested and split easily but their taste really makes up for it. -Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I COMPLETELY agree!! They were the best tomatoes!! I think my second favorite were the sunny boys.

      Delete