Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Guess What??

Chicken butt.


No, someone has not hijacked my blog - we actually got chickens. Really. They are upstairs in our spare bedroom.

We are going to try this. From this point forward, these are not chickens, but they are my exotic Asian ground fowl. That are my pets. That are normal household pets. . .

Township covenant states: "Only customary household pets are allowed on properties . . ." Whether chicken or Asian ground fowl, I think small pet birds are pretty customary, right? I mean, it's not like I have an emu out there or something. The only difference between these and a parrot is that these guys (I mean girls. . . please be girls. . .) make me breakfast. Although because they are Silkies, it is more of a when they feel like it sort of thing rather than an every day like clockwork sort of thing. Which makes them even more like a parrot. I rest my case.

So anyways, we adopted 7 Silkie chicks a week and a half ago. They were older chicks when I adopted them - somewhere between 2-3 weeks old. I've been going back and forth about whether or not we should keep them. I think I have finally decided to keep them and give it a try. I know that if I gave them away now, I would always wonder if it would have worked.

The major stress factor at the moment - we kind of haven't built the coop or run yet. But I think we're going to try to build it this weekend. But I guess that's what we said last weekend. . .

So here are the chicks, so far unnamed (with the exception of the tiny reddish brown one that I keep calling Rosita for some reason, and the yellowish one I have nicknamed 'Angry Bird') when I got them a week ago and now:

Chick #1: I love it's white eyebrows and chin. It's feathers are coming in all scraggly - I wonder if it has the frizzle gene.


 Chick #2: Has cute black markings on it's back and wings


 Chick #3: Will end up being partridge colored I am guessing??

Chick #4: I must admit this one is my favorite, though I am worried about it being a boy (all boys will be given away since we can't have crowing or other such nonsense in my suburban backyard). I love this one's coif - maybe part polish? (Did I mention these silkies are kind of mutts? :)

Chick #5: aka Rosita. I don't know why I started calling it Rosita - it is just so small and cute and gentle.


 Chick #6: In just one week this one has almost doubled in size and is sporting some very fancy foot feathers.


Chick #7: aka 'Angry Bird'. I mean, seriously - just look at it's face in the second picture. It is the most ornery bird and it absolutely hates me with a passion. When I am in the room with them, it is constantly eyeing me suspiciously as the others sleep. I kind of hope you are a rooster. :) This one has also doubled in size over the past week and is certainly at the top of the pecking order. I must say it is very protective of the other chicks (another reason I'm thinking roo?) We'll see. . .


That's all for now, but more will be coming soon as we build the coop and run (it's gonna have to happen soon at this point!)



No comments:

Post a Comment