Monday, September 24, 2012

Living Room Progress - Homemade Curtains DONE!!

So, we're finally getting close to having the living room done!!  All that's really left is to put some stuff up on the walls. I have my butterfly art project waiting in the "wings" - ha ha, I crack myself up. But anyways here's the BEFORE pics:


We took these pics shortly after we moved in and moved our old couch out to make space for the new ones being delivered.

And here is the room now in it's current state:


It's amazing what a bit of pattern and color does! I hated the wall color in this house but the patterns and colors make it work a lot better so I don't need to paint (at least not immediately!). Yea for saving money (that can maybe be put towards a new flatscreen tv??? ahem, David?? :) Because I totally want to have a Season 6 Mad Men Premier Party in here. Anyone in??

The curtains were super easy to make, but the fabric was a bit of a splurge, but we got it 60% off and with an additional 15% off teacher discount from Joann's, so it didn't hurt quite as much. I LOVE this fabric, so it was well worth it!! It is a bit of a crazy fabric, and I had the sample draped over the sofa for I think two weeks to make sure I REALLY liked it before I made the jump! In case you are interested, the fabric is called Robert Allen Khanjali Peacock - it is a very vibrantly colored turquoise ikat pattern. Here's a closeup:

I wanted to hang the curtains high and not block out too much of the light from the windows, so I bought new longer curtain rods from Target and hung them about 6 inches away from the crown molding. With the rods at that height, and taking into account hemming, I figured I would need each panel to be about 90 inches long. So 90 inches x 4 panels = 10 yards of fabric. The fabric itself is about 57" wide, so I decided to keep that width and not reduce it so that the panels were full and voluptuous :)

Once the fabric arrived, I laid it on the floor and cut the 10 yard bolt into 4 identical sized 2.5 yard pieces.

Since I was working on these at night after the baby child was asleep, I opted for a no-sew method using Stitch Witchery and my handy dandy ol' iron.



I hemmed each side (it took one evening to do each panel - probably would have been faster to sew it but oh well.). I decided to not go back over it with the sewing machine because I am lazy and impatient and it looked just fine the way it was.


I used ring clips to hang the curtains so that I would get a little more length out of them, hung them up, and voila!


So next on the list is to hang up some artwork on the walls and then that room will be at least temporarily finished (rooms are never finished for long, they kind of tend to evolve. . .) But for now, I am enjoying looking at my crazy curtains :)




1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes! That's quite a transformation. Very clean, very simple. I love the aesthete. The room looks great without a flat screen TV!

    ReplyDelete