Friday, September 14, 2012

Why is it so hard to pick a backsplash?

Maybe because I am trying to work with what we've got. Maybe if I was completely starting from scratch, I would do something like this:


But I will save that idea for our vacation house in Greece.

This is the actual kitchen (not in Greece) we are working with:


Pardon the mess - we were still moving in at this point! This picture is taken standing in the breakfast room looking towards the office/playroom. Below are some more pictures.





I included a closeup of the granite countertop because we are planning the kitchen redo around the stupid thing. Black granite would definitely not have been my first pick. And it furthermore irritates me when people think it's a good idea to slap new, expensive countertops on old and outdated laminate and oak cabinets to "update" the kitchen. You could get a cheaper countertop and paint the cabinets for better effect. But I digress. . .

Anyways, I feel bad ripping out nice granite. Especially since it is actually very beautiful and has grown on me. Hence the design around them.

Basically the plan is to replace the current cabinet doors with shaker style cabinet doors for a more updated, clean and modern look that would be a fraction of the cost of replacing all the cabinets. To save some money, we're going to have a local cabinetmaker make the doors for us unfinished, and we will paint the doors and the cabinet bases ourselves - white is seems will work best with the color scheme we have going on in the house so far. There are a few other things we plan on doing too, but I'll save that for another post :) This is kind-of an inspiration kitchen I have kept in mind:



So we're going to remove the current ugly backsplash (that is surrounded by a lovely brown oak quarter round that normally goes on the floor). But replace it with what??? It has to be something that does not compete with the granite. But plain old white subway tiles might make the room look too sterile. Which is why I liked the tiny mosaic in the above inspiration pictures - just the right amount of shimmer, but would totally go with the granite.

Problem.

I have no idea what backsplash that is. Why? Because just as I have copied pictures from someone's website without siting where I got them, so did the person I got them from, so, no source, and alas, no description of the tile. 

I have looked online for hours a bit and have come up empty-handed. Is it glass? Carrara marble? Mother of Pearl? Who knows. Probably is 3/8 or 5/8 in tile though. So that's all I've got. Oh and no stores in this area carry anything like it in person.

Sigh.

Another option that Home Depot actually carries is this:



That might actually be kind of cool - but would I grow weary of it's trendiness after a while?? Here's a couple of pics I found with a slightly bigger version so you can have an idea how it would look as a backsplash:



Kind of cool? Or not so much? What do you think?





2 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing! Drew and I did the cabinet door refacing project in our last home. It makes a world of difference. If you're a little OCD and I thi.. well I won't say it, haha. Anyway, think about how you want to paint them. If you want the brush strokes or not. It sounds funny but if you want a modern look, rent or buy a sprayer and use it on everything from cabinets to doors, so it is consistent. If you are going for a more country look, the paint brush will work best (and is cheapest). It leaves tiny lines... but if you are a perfectionist and want the lines to be perfect, it could be a frustrating process. I love what you're thinking about doing! Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! That's a good idea about renting or buying a sprayer! I was concerned about there being brushstrokes on there - yeah you are right, I am a tad on the OCD side :) I thought no one had looked at this blog and I was so excited to see your comment! For being the first person to comment on my blog, you win free drinks at my new pad :) Just let me know when!

      Delete